Parenting 'mixed' children: difference and belonging in mixed race and faith families
Caballero, Chamion, Edwards , Rosalind and Puthussery, Shuby (2008) Parenting 'mixed' children: difference and belonging in mixed race and faith families. London, GB, Joseph Rowntree Foundation, 76pp.
- Publishers print
* Mixed-parent couples in Britain were often in sustained relationships, and a high proportion were middle class.
* The couples interviewed used three typical approaches to instil a sense of belonging in their children; particular approaches were not associated with particular racial or faith combinations:
o Individual: children's sense of belonging was not seen as rooted in their mixed background.
o Mix: children's mixed background was understood as a factual part of their identity; all aspects were emphasised.
o Single: one aspect of children's mixed background was stressed.
* Couples whose approach differed in giving their children a sense of belonging were not necessarily in conflict. For some, divergent approaches were complementary. Others saw difficulties between them as humanistic, political or personality choices.
* Parents identified supportive or constraining resources and relationships in creating a sense of belonging, including neighbourhoods, schools, travel, languages, grandparents and children themselves. What some regarded as supportive, others saw as drawbacks.
* Mixed-parent couples can be more concerned with other issues, such as children's safety and health, unity over discipline and financial security.
* The researchers conclude that it is important that family support, health, education and social services do not make assumptions about mixed families. Families who seem to share a form of mixing can differ from each other. 'Mixedness' may be insignificant for some, compared to other issues. Mixed families would benefit from policies and practice that further tackle prejudice based on race and faith.
|Item Type:||Monograph (Working Paper)|
|Subjects:||H Social Sciences > HT Communities. Classes. Races|
|Divisions:||University Structure - Pre August 2011 > School of Social Sciences
|Date Deposited:||14 Jun 2011 13:29|
|Last Modified:||14 Jun 2011 13:29|
|Contributors:||Caballero, Chamion (Author)
Edwards , Rosalind (Author)
Puthussery, Shuby (Author)
|Publisher:||Joseph Rowntree Foundation|
|RDF:||RDF+N-Triples, RDF+N3, RDF+XML, Browse.|
Actions (login required)