TDA TiLT research grants 2010-11. Research into ICT to support computing in education: 10 projects – the online surveys
Woollard, John and Selby, Cynthia (2012) TDA TiLT research grants 2010-11. Research into ICT to support computing in education: 10 projects – the online surveys. Southampton, GB, Training and Development Agency (Submitted)
- Publishers print
Restricted to Registered users only
Download (154Kb) | Request a copy
This TDA funded report describes the challenges and affordances of introducing computing into the initial teacher training of ICT teachers. It reflects upon the experiences of 10 recipients of the Technology in Teaching and Learning (TiLT) research grants. The data is collected through online surveys at the start and near the completion of the activities. Five projects are identified that reflect 5 different models of approach to integrating computing activities into initial teacher training in ICT – these are reported separately. They enable institutions to consider the model of approach most appropriate for their context.
Key themes emerging from the survey analysis are:
• Programming is perceived to be a key element of computing provision.
• Practical computing actives can be embedded in classroom experiences.
• Without a defined Computing Curriculum, training providers are not confident of exactly what subject knowledge should be presented.
• A narrow focus on individual skills, such as programming or manipulation of databases, may result in the neglect of broader computing concepts, such as abstraction, decomposition, or generalisation.
• For those trainees with applicable degree or industry knowledge, there should be differentiation in delivery and material.
• Trainees reveal concerns about their lack of specific computing subject knowledge when beginning the initial teacher training and question their ability to master programming to a Key Stage 3 level.
|Item Type:||Monograph (Project Report)|
|Subjects:||L Education > L Education (General)|
|Divisions:||Faculty of Social and Human Sciences > Southampton Education School
Faculty of Social and Human Sciences > Southampton Education School > Social Justice & Inclusive Education
|Date Deposited:||10 Jan 2012 11:30|
|Last Modified:||08 Jun 2012 13:26|
|Contributors:||Woollard, John (Author)
Selby, Cynthia (Author)
|Funder:||Training and Development Agency|
|Publisher:||Training and Development Agency|
|RDF:||RDF+N-Triples, RDF+N3, RDF+XML, Browse.|
Actions (login required)