The University of Southampton
University of Southampton Institutional Repository

Maximizing research impact through institutional and national open-access self-archiving mandates

Maximizing research impact through institutional and national open-access self-archiving mandates
Maximizing research impact through institutional and national open-access self-archiving mandates
No research institution can afford all the journals its researchers may need, so all articles are losing research impact (usage and citations). Articles made “Open Access,” (OA) by self-archiving them on the web are cited twice as much, but only 15% of articles are being spontaneously self-archived. The only institutions approaching 100% self-archiving are those that mandate it. Surveys show that 95% of authors will comply with a self-archiving mandate; the actual experience of institutions with mandates has confirmed this. What institutions and funders need to mandate is that (1) immediately upon acceptance for publication, (2) the author’s final draft must be (3) deposited into the Institutional Repository. Only the depositing needs to be mandated; setting access privileges to the full-text as either OA or Restricted Access (RA) can be left up to the author. For articles published in the 93% of journals that have already endorsed self-archiving, access can be set as OA immediately; for the remaining 7%, authors can email the eprint in response to individual email requests automatically forwarded by the Repository.
open access, self-archiving, research impact, citation, scientometrics, institutional repositories, policy, mandate
Harnad, Stevan
442ee520-71a1-4283-8e01-106693487d8b
Jeffrey, Keith
6eaf4eed-95ae-4b42-960c-f03649cce926
Harnad, Stevan
442ee520-71a1-4283-8e01-106693487d8b
Jeffrey, Keith
6eaf4eed-95ae-4b42-960c-f03649cce926

Harnad, Stevan (2006) Maximizing research impact through institutional and national open-access self-archiving mandates. Jeffrey, Keith (ed.) CRIS2006. Current Research Information Systems: Open Access Institutional Repositories, Bergen, Norway. 11 - 13 May 2006.

Record type: Conference or Workshop Item (Paper)

Abstract

No research institution can afford all the journals its researchers may need, so all articles are losing research impact (usage and citations). Articles made “Open Access,” (OA) by self-archiving them on the web are cited twice as much, but only 15% of articles are being spontaneously self-archived. The only institutions approaching 100% self-archiving are those that mandate it. Surveys show that 95% of authors will comply with a self-archiving mandate; the actual experience of institutions with mandates has confirmed this. What institutions and funders need to mandate is that (1) immediately upon acceptance for publication, (2) the author’s final draft must be (3) deposited into the Institutional Repository. Only the depositing needs to be mandated; setting access privileges to the full-text as either OA or Restricted Access (RA) can be left up to the author. For articles published in the 93% of journals that have already endorsed self-archiving, access can be set as OA immediately; for the remaining 7%, authors can email the eprint in response to individual email requests automatically forwarded by the Repository.

Image cris7.jpg - Other
Download (21kB)
Image cris2.jpg - Other
Download (13kB)
Image cris1.jpg - Other
Download (98kB)
Image cris12.gif - Other
Download (129B)
Image cris8.gif - Other
Download (148B)
Text harnad-crisrev.html - Other
Download (140kB)
Image cris5.gif - Other
Download (8kB)
Image cris3.gif - Other
Download (11kB)
Image cris10.gif - Other
Download (129B)
Image cris6.jpg - Other
Download (131kB)
Text harnad-crisrev.pdf - Other
Download (570kB)
Text harnad-crisrev.doc - Other
Download (391kB)

Show all 12 downloads.

More information

Published date: 2006
Additional Information: ) Invited Keynote. CRIS2006. Open Access Institutional Repositories. Current Research Information Systems. Bergen, Norway, 11-13 May 2006 http://ct.eurocris.org/CRIS2006/ Event Dates: 11-13 May 2006
Venue - Dates: CRIS2006. Current Research Information Systems: Open Access Institutional Repositories, Bergen, Norway, 2006-05-11 - 2006-05-13
Keywords: open access, self-archiving, research impact, citation, scientometrics, institutional repositories, policy, mandate
Organisations: Web & Internet Science

Identifiers

Local EPrints ID: 262093
URI: https://eprints.soton.ac.uk/id/eprint/262093
PURE UUID: a6839cc1-2e5f-4247-8a03-1a1b2a39aabd
ORCID for Stevan Harnad: ORCID iD orcid.org/0000-0001-6153-1129

Catalogue record

Date deposited: 18 Mar 2006
Last modified: 26 Jun 2018 00:35

Export record

Download statistics

Downloads from ePrints over the past year. Other digital versions may also be available to download e.g. from the publisher's website.

View more statistics

Atom RSS 1.0 RSS 2.0

Contact ePrints Soton: eprints@soton.ac.uk

ePrints Soton supports OAI 2.0 with a base URL of https://eprints.soton.ac.uk/cgi/oai2

This repository has been built using EPrints software, developed at the University of Southampton, but available to everyone to use.

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we will assume that you are happy to receive cookies on the University of Southampton website.

×