The University of Southampton
University of Southampton Institutional Repository

How to Counter All Opposition to the US Federal Research Public Access Act (FRPAA) Self-Archiving Mandate

Record type: Monograph (Project Report)

Eight-point strategy for countering the publishing lobby's opposition to the US Federal Research Public Access Act (FRPAA) Self-Archiving Mandate: (1) empirical evidence of the positive effect of self-archiving on research impact; (2) absence of empirical evidence of negative effect of self-archiving on publisher subscription revenues; (3) mandate deposit of full text and metadata immediately upon acceptance for publication and allow delay only for access-setting to the full text(Open Access vs. Closed Access); (4) 94% of journals already endorse immediate access-setting to OA; a semi-automatic email-eprint request feature of the archiving software can tide over any embargo period for the remaining 6%; (5) abstain from speculating or counterspeculating about subscription declines until/unless there is any evidence for them; (6) the mandate itself is the empirical test of whether there will be any effect on subscriptions; the outcome can be reviewed annually; (7) the primary purpose of Open Access is to provide access to researchers who are would-be users but cannot afford access, in order to maximise the benefits of the research to the public that funds it; public access to the research articles themselves is only a secondary benefit, for the minority of research articles that the general public might actually be interested in reading; (8) all evidence indicates that voluntary self-archiving policies fail, whereas mandatory ones are successful.

HTML frpaa.html - Other
Download (15kB)

Citation

Harnad, Stevan (2006) How to Counter All Opposition to the US Federal Research Public Access Act (FRPAA) Self-Archiving Mandate s.n.

More information

Published date: June 2006
Additional Information: Commentary On: Science and innovation investment framework 2004-2014: next steps. http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/media/1E1/5E/bud06_science_332.pdf
Keywords: open access, self-archiving, research policy, research impact, citation
Organisations: Web & Internet Science

Identifiers

Local EPrints ID: 262702
URI: http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/id/eprint/262702
PURE UUID: 3c66cddc-4748-41ff-9627-7b919d4e03a6

Catalogue record

Date deposited: 11 Jun 2006
Last modified: 18 Jul 2017 08:48

Export record

Contributors

Author: Stevan Harnad

University divisions


Download statistics

Downloads from ePrints over the past year. Other digital versions may also be available to download e.g. from the publisher's website.

View more statistics

Atom RSS 1.0 RSS 2.0

Contact ePrints Soton: eprints@soton.ac.uk

ePrints Soton supports OAI 2.0 with a base URL of http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/cgi/oai2

This repository has been built using EPrints software, developed at the University of Southampton, but available to everyone to use.

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we will assume that you are happy to receive cookies on the University of Southampton website.

×