The University of Southampton
University of Southampton Institutional Repository

Spread of synaptic potentials through electrical synapses in Retzius neurones of the leech

Spread of synaptic potentials through electrical synapses in Retzius neurones of the leech
Spread of synaptic potentials through electrical synapses in Retzius neurones of the leech
We studied the spread of excitatory postsynaptic potentials (EPSPs) through electrical synapses in Retzius neurones of the leech Haementeria officinalis. The pair of Retzius neurones in each ganglion is coupled by a non-rectifying electrical synapse. Both neurones displayed synchronous EPSPs of varying amplitudes and rise times. The kinetics of synchronous EPSPs was similar in 79 % of the EPSP pairs. In the remaining 21 %, one EPSP was smaller and slower than the other, suggesting its passive spread from the other neurone. The proportion of these events increased to 75 % in the presence of Mg(2+) in the bathing fluid. This spread of EPSPs from one neurone to another was tested by producing artificial EPSPs by current injection into the soma of one Retzius neurone. The artificial EPSPs were smaller and arrived more slowly at the soma of the coupled neurone. The coupling ratios for the EPSPs were proportional to the coupling ratio for long steady-state pulses in different neuronal pairs. Our results showed that EPSPs spread from one Retzius neurone to the other and support the idea that EPSP spread between electrically coupled neurones may contribute to the integration processes of neurones.
synapse, electrical synapse, integration, leech, gap junction, haementeria officinalis
0022-0949
3241-3250
De-Miguel, F.F.
532d2439-7403-465e-8ce2-5cac1962498b
Vargas-Caballero, M.
de2178ac-77fd-4748-9fe5-109ab8ad93e1
García-Pérez, E.
69bca721-f32b-43d9-8b32-6d0db1db475d
De-Miguel, F.F.
532d2439-7403-465e-8ce2-5cac1962498b
Vargas-Caballero, M.
de2178ac-77fd-4748-9fe5-109ab8ad93e1
García-Pérez, E.
69bca721-f32b-43d9-8b32-6d0db1db475d

De-Miguel, F.F., Vargas-Caballero, M. and García-Pérez, E. (2001) Spread of synaptic potentials through electrical synapses in Retzius neurones of the leech. Journal of Experimental Biology, 204 (19), 3241-3250. (PMID:11606598)

Record type: Article

Abstract

We studied the spread of excitatory postsynaptic potentials (EPSPs) through electrical synapses in Retzius neurones of the leech Haementeria officinalis. The pair of Retzius neurones in each ganglion is coupled by a non-rectifying electrical synapse. Both neurones displayed synchronous EPSPs of varying amplitudes and rise times. The kinetics of synchronous EPSPs was similar in 79 % of the EPSP pairs. In the remaining 21 %, one EPSP was smaller and slower than the other, suggesting its passive spread from the other neurone. The proportion of these events increased to 75 % in the presence of Mg(2+) in the bathing fluid. This spread of EPSPs from one neurone to another was tested by producing artificial EPSPs by current injection into the soma of one Retzius neurone. The artificial EPSPs were smaller and arrived more slowly at the soma of the coupled neurone. The coupling ratios for the EPSPs were proportional to the coupling ratio for long steady-state pulses in different neuronal pairs. Our results showed that EPSPs spread from one Retzius neurone to the other and support the idea that EPSP spread between electrically coupled neurones may contribute to the integration processes of neurones.

Full text not available from this repository.

More information

Published date: October 2001
Keywords: synapse, electrical synapse, integration, leech, gap junction, haementeria officinalis
Organisations: Centre for Biological Sciences

Identifiers

Local EPrints ID: 348678
URI: https://eprints.soton.ac.uk/id/eprint/348678
ISSN: 0022-0949
PURE UUID: 2e74a291-d74f-4ad4-831e-2eec09b2e723
ORCID for M. Vargas-Caballero: ORCID iD orcid.org/0000-0003-2326-4001

Catalogue record

Date deposited: 13 May 2013 13:36
Last modified: 06 Jun 2018 12:29

Export record

Download statistics

Downloads from ePrints over the past year. Other digital versions may also be available to download e.g. from the publisher's website.

View more statistics

Atom RSS 1.0 RSS 2.0

Contact ePrints Soton: eprints@soton.ac.uk

ePrints Soton supports OAI 2.0 with a base URL of https://eprints.soton.ac.uk/cgi/oai2

This repository has been built using EPrints software, developed at the University of Southampton, but available to everyone to use.

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we will assume that you are happy to receive cookies on the University of Southampton website.

×