The University of Southampton
University of Southampton Institutional Repository

Ureteroscopy for paediatric renal tract stones - Outcomes from a tertiary European centre

Ureteroscopy for paediatric renal tract stones - Outcomes from a tertiary European centre
Ureteroscopy for paediatric renal tract stones - Outcomes from a tertiary European centre

AIMS: The use of ureteroscopy in treating paediatric stone disease has risen in recent years. We retrospectively reviewed the results of ureteroscopic stone management for our regional paediatric stone service.

MATERIAL AND METHODS: Between April 2010 and October 2013, consecutive patients undergoing ureteroscopy and stone fragmentation were identified. Data were recorded from electronic records for patient demographics, pre-operative assessment, stone characteristics, and intra- and post-operative complications.

RESULTS: Twenty-one patients (mean age 8.6 years; range: 1.4-16) had 32 procedures in our series (13 males and 8 females). Five (24%) had a metabolic abnormality and 8 (38%) had an anatomical abnormality. The mean initial stone size was 9.6 mm (range: 5-20) and 10 were left sided. Of the 32 procedures, 18 (56%) had a pre-operative stent. A positive pre-operative urine culture was seen in 4 (13%). CT was used in 6 (19%) with the rest having a combination of USS and/or plain KUB. Of these 21 patients, 13 (62%) were stone free after the first procedure, 17 (81%) after a second and 20 (95%) after a third (mean 1.5 procedures/patient). One patient with a 6-mm residual fragment chose to have surveillance. Eighteen (50%) had post-operative stent insertion. The mean length of stay was 1.5 days (range: 0-5). A minor complication (Clavien 1) was observed in 1 patient. No other complications were recorded.

CONCLUSIONS: Ureteroscopy for stone disease in children is feasible with a low complication rate and high stone-free rate.

Adolescent, Child, Child, Preschool, Female, Humans, Infant, Kidney Calculi, Male, Retrospective Studies, Tertiary Care Centers, Treatment Outcome, United Kingdom, Ureteroscopy, Journal Article
2090-598X
320-323
Chedgy, Edmund C.P.
d4534614-a0c5-43dd-ad6b-f5fb92982d16
Griffin, Stephen J.
f491d2cb-f9bd-40a4-ae12-c189407edc8f
Dyer, Jon P.
d1e9410b-e976-450a-ba20-9f24ff1181ed
Somani, Bhaskar K.
ab5fd1ce-02df-4b88-b25e-8ece396335d9
Chedgy, Edmund C.P.
d4534614-a0c5-43dd-ad6b-f5fb92982d16
Griffin, Stephen J.
f491d2cb-f9bd-40a4-ae12-c189407edc8f
Dyer, Jon P.
d1e9410b-e976-450a-ba20-9f24ff1181ed
Somani, Bhaskar K.
ab5fd1ce-02df-4b88-b25e-8ece396335d9

Chedgy, Edmund C.P., Griffin, Stephen J., Dyer, Jon P. and Somani, Bhaskar K. (2015) Ureteroscopy for paediatric renal tract stones - Outcomes from a tertiary European centre. Arab Journal of Urology, 95 (3), 320-323. (doi:10.1159/000380857).

Record type: Article

Abstract

AIMS: The use of ureteroscopy in treating paediatric stone disease has risen in recent years. We retrospectively reviewed the results of ureteroscopic stone management for our regional paediatric stone service.

MATERIAL AND METHODS: Between April 2010 and October 2013, consecutive patients undergoing ureteroscopy and stone fragmentation were identified. Data were recorded from electronic records for patient demographics, pre-operative assessment, stone characteristics, and intra- and post-operative complications.

RESULTS: Twenty-one patients (mean age 8.6 years; range: 1.4-16) had 32 procedures in our series (13 males and 8 females). Five (24%) had a metabolic abnormality and 8 (38%) had an anatomical abnormality. The mean initial stone size was 9.6 mm (range: 5-20) and 10 were left sided. Of the 32 procedures, 18 (56%) had a pre-operative stent. A positive pre-operative urine culture was seen in 4 (13%). CT was used in 6 (19%) with the rest having a combination of USS and/or plain KUB. Of these 21 patients, 13 (62%) were stone free after the first procedure, 17 (81%) after a second and 20 (95%) after a third (mean 1.5 procedures/patient). One patient with a 6-mm residual fragment chose to have surveillance. Eighteen (50%) had post-operative stent insertion. The mean length of stay was 1.5 days (range: 0-5). A minor complication (Clavien 1) was observed in 1 patient. No other complications were recorded.

CONCLUSIONS: Ureteroscopy for stone disease in children is feasible with a low complication rate and high stone-free rate.

Full text not available from this repository.

More information

e-pub ahead of print date: 21 March 2015
Published date: November 2015
Additional Information: © 2015 S. Karger AG, Basel.
Keywords: Adolescent, Child, Child, Preschool, Female, Humans, Infant, Kidney Calculi, Male, Retrospective Studies, Tertiary Care Centers, Treatment Outcome, United Kingdom, Ureteroscopy, Journal Article

Identifiers

Local EPrints ID: 419371
URI: http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/id/eprint/419371
ISSN: 2090-598X
PURE UUID: 01c68ab9-a011-475a-95a8-d89cdbd48e47

Catalogue record

Date deposited: 11 Apr 2018 16:30
Last modified: 13 Mar 2019 18:44

Export record

Altmetrics

Download statistics

Downloads from ePrints over the past year. Other digital versions may also be available to download e.g. from the publisher's website.

View more statistics

Atom RSS 1.0 RSS 2.0

Contact ePrints Soton: eprints@soton.ac.uk

ePrints Soton supports OAI 2.0 with a base URL of http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/cgi/oai2

This repository has been built using EPrints software, developed at the University of Southampton, but available to everyone to use.

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we will assume that you are happy to receive cookies on the University of Southampton website.

×