Dasari, B.D. and Robertson, D.
The facilitation of clinical reasoning skills in undergraduate occupational therapists
At Tenth Anniversary of the European Network of Occupational Therapy in Higher Education.
23 - 25 Sep 2005.
Full text not available from this repository.
David Robertson explained how he works with Year 3 of 4 BSc(Hons).
* Keynote on clinical reasoning, PBL intro, PBL assessment strategy, PBL treatment strategy.
* PBL resettlement strategy, Video conference, Review, debrief, reflect. Use case study of longstanding MS, now difficulty caring for self. Worked with person with MS - used actress to make video. 35min interview to view on web before start PBL block to go alongside history
* 1st PBL - assessment plan. Given sample assessment. 2nd PBL - treatment plan. Given sample discharge summary and home environment. 3rd PBL - discharge summary. Pictures of entrance, stair etc on web. Video conferencing helped record discussions. Also online community discussions. Looked at clinical reasoning during video conferencing.
* Types of clinical reasoning. Procedural - scientific, diagnostic. Interactive - narrative, collaboration. Conditional - predictive, pragmatic, interactive, moral/ethical.
* Dreyfus + Dreyfus 1980, Dreyfus 1981 - novice expert. Transcribed videoconference, identified statements of clinical reasoning. 2/3 procedural. 12% interactive.
* Some differences between Scottish and US students - exposure to MS and clinical setting
Actions (login required)