The University of Southampton
University of Southampton Institutional Repository

Localization of phosphorylated serine, osteopontin, and bone sialoprotein on bone fracture surfaces

Record type: Article

Bone mineral density or bone mass alone cannot reliably predict fracture risk in patients. It is generally accepted that bone quality, including the properties of the organic matrix of bone, should also be considered. Collagen type I accounts for about 90% of this organic matrix. The other 10% are accounted for by various proteins and proteoglycans usually summarized by the term noncollagenous proteins (NCPs). These NCPs have a large influence on the nanoscale organization of bone. In addition, some NCPs have intriguing properties that could strongly influence bone matrix material properties; they can form self-healing networks based on ion-mediated bonds. Such behavior was also reported for trabecular bone fracture surfaces, rejoined after cleavage. To obtain proof that this behavior of bone is due to NCPs, an immunohistochemical approach was chosen for the work presented in this communication. Antibodies for phosphoserine, which is abundant in many NCPs but not in collagen type I, as well as antibodies for osteopontin and bone sialoprotein, were used on human trabecular bone fracture surfaces and microfractured trabeculae. Signals were detected using secondary gold-labeled antibodies and backscattered scanning electron microscopy. We found homogenous NCP coverage of fracture surfaces and elevated signals on bridging ligaments. Osteopontin and bone sialoprotein were detected in localized patches. Overall, this work suggests that the self-healing effect of trabecluar bone fracture surfaces, rejoined after cleavage, can be explained by the presence of NCPs. In addition, we conclude that NCPs also constitute the interface that is disrupted when bone fails, attributing them high importance for bone matrix material properties and fracture risk.

Full text not available from this repository.

Citation

Thurner, Philipp J., Lam, Stephanie, Weaver, James C., Morse, Daniel E. and Hansma, Paul K. (2009) Localization of phosphorylated serine, osteopontin, and bone sialoprotein on bone fracture surfaces Journal of Adhesion, 85, (8), pp. 526-545. (doi:10.1080/00218460902996424).

More information

Published date: August 2009
Additional Information: The Waite collection, part 2
Keywords: bone sialoprotein, immunhistochemistry, microfracture, noncollagenous proteins, osteopontin, phosphoserine, trabecular bone
Organisations: Bioengineering Sciences

Identifiers

Local EPrints ID: 79914
URI: http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/id/eprint/79914
ISSN: 0021-8464
PURE UUID: 27377b94-bd33-4be3-851a-e0aaf500ba25

Catalogue record

Date deposited: 22 Mar 2010
Last modified: 18 Jul 2017 23:15

Export record

Altmetrics

Contributors

Author: Stephanie Lam
Author: James C. Weaver
Author: Daniel E. Morse
Author: Paul K. Hansma

University divisions


Download statistics

Downloads from ePrints over the past year. Other digital versions may also be available to download e.g. from the publisher's website.

View more statistics

Atom RSS 1.0 RSS 2.0

Contact ePrints Soton: eprints@soton.ac.uk

ePrints Soton supports OAI 2.0 with a base URL of http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/cgi/oai2

This repository has been built using EPrints software, developed at the University of Southampton, but available to everyone to use.

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we will assume that you are happy to receive cookies on the University of Southampton website.

×