The University of Southampton
University of Southampton Institutional Repository

Capture of manufacturing uncertainty in turbine blades through probabilistic techniques

Thakur, Nikita, Keane, Andy and Nair, Prasanth B. (2008) Capture of manufacturing uncertainty in turbine blades through probabilistic techniques At 7th ASMO-UK/ISSMO International Conference on Engineering Design Optimization. 07 - 08 Jul 2008. 10 pp.

Record type: Conference or Workshop Item (Paper)

Abstract

Efficient designing of the turbine blades is critical to the performance of an aircraft engine. An area of significant research interest is the capture of manufacturing uncertainty in the shapes of these turbine blades. The available data used for estimation of this manufacturing uncertainty inevitably contains the effects of measurement error/noise. In the present work, we propose the application of Principal Component Analysis (PCA) for de-noising the measurement data and quantifying the underlying manufacturing uncertainty. Once the PCA is performed, a method for dimensionality reduction has been proposed which utilizes prior information available on the variance of measurement error for different measurement types. Numerical studies indicate that approximately 82% of the variation in the measurements from their design values is accounted for by the manufacturing uncertainty, while the remaining 18% variation is filtered out as measurement error.

PDF Thak_08.pdf - Author's Original
Download (1MB)

More information

Published date: 8 July 2008
Venue - Dates: 7th ASMO-UK/ISSMO International Conference on Engineering Design Optimization, 2008-07-07 - 2008-07-08

Identifiers

Local EPrints ID: 64276
URI: http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/id/eprint/64276
PURE UUID: 5466908e-7fe8-4eca-a1b1-14d1dfec982f

Catalogue record

Date deposited: 06 Jan 2009
Last modified: 17 Jul 2017 14:13

Export record

Contributors

Author: Nikita Thakur
Author: Andy Keane
Author: Prasanth B. Nair

University divisions

Download statistics

Downloads from ePrints over the past year. Other digital versions may also be available to download e.g. from the publisher's website.

View more statistics

Atom RSS 1.0 RSS 2.0

Contact ePrints Soton: eprints@soton.ac.uk

ePrints Soton supports OAI 2.0 with a base URL of http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/cgi/oai2

This repository has been built using EPrints software, developed at the University of Southampton, but available to everyone to use.

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we will assume that you are happy to receive cookies on the University of Southampton website.

×